On Tue, 2 Apr 2024, John Coggeshall wrote:

> > So if we want to make sure that something like XY doesn't happen, we
> > have to add some additional restrictions to those GPG keys.
>
> Looks like all those geeky colleagues of ours back in the day having
> key-signing parties at conferences were on to something, maybe..

> Let's be clear about something -- having GPG key requirements isn't
> going to help a situation like XZ. The XZ attack was done by an active
> maintainer of the project (who arguably manipulated the original
> maintainer of the project to become a maintainer themselves). It was
> as much a social engineering attack as anything.

> Having GPG key requirements is all fine and dandy I suppose, but my
> tongue-in-cheek comment above has a real point behind it: GPG keys
> don't mean jack if you can't trust who owns the key.

GitHub doesn't show the web of trust anyway, just "verified". Command
line GIT doesn't either, just:

$ git verify-commit HEAD~1
gpg: Signature made Tue 02 Apr 2024 14:55:21 BST
gpg:                using RSA key 5A52880781F755608BF815FC910DEB46F53EA312
…
gpg:                 aka "Derick Rethans (GitHub) <git...@derickrethans.nl>"
[ultimate]
gpg:                 aka "Derick Rethans (PHP) <der...@php.net>" [ultimate]