"Christian Schneider" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> The advantage of a proven format and being able to use standard tools are
> priority #1 IMHO.
>
>> manipulate them. The advantage over other formats is that the resources
>> can be used in-place using a custom PHP stream (i.e. run in place - no
>> unzipping). Of course, anything can be stuffed into the files, so if
>
> Considering how fast current computers are and based on the fact that
> wrappers for current archive format can already hide the unzipping step
> I'd resist the temptation to create yet-another-archive-format.

actually this extension was/is intended to provide a ResourceBundle class
with
proper fallback semantics. it will provide a robust and fast replacement for
gettext,
and has the additional benefit that practically anything can be stored in
it, including
localized images, code, a sqlite db <g>. locale data can be stored per-file,
or aggregated into a single
file containing all external app data.

the code exists and currently works, with some limitations
that im  hoping to address. it just happens to be written in a way that can
easily support a par/phar
implementation - no that it has to.

l0t3k