Since comments comments were called for I thought I might weigh in
with my $0.02cdn

When configuring PHP I want a way to protect myself, and my users from
themselves when it comes to doing something silly, I've actually seen
include($_GET['function']) in running code, though thankfully never on
one of my projects. I would like to be able to prevent something like
this from happening at the .ini level, wether thats allow_url_fopen or
some other setting doesn't really matter.

Beyond that, I'm only mildly interested in granularity, and then
probably at the user/directory of execution level rather than the
particular function level.

So something like:
allow_users_to_be_foolish(yes/no)
  -> disable remote file loading in include/require
allow_remote_data_retreival(yes/no)
  -> disable remote file retreival with fopen, file_get_contents,
streams, etc. If you're setting this option don't bother installing
--with-curl, problem solved.

Would suit me fine. Being able to do that in .htaccess or within some
other apache based structure would be great, but not really needed.

I agree with the previously mentioned "If their aim is that good, they
deserve to be shot in the foot" completely

paul

On 7/28/05, Jason Sweat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Ah yes, you're right... I guess we do need another INI setting.
> >
> > Or constructs-that-look-like-functions could be governed by
> > disable_functions (eval, echo).. that would cause other problems (like a
> > disabled "return"), though.

> I think Zeev's earlier comment about "If their aim is that good, they
> deserve to be shot in the foot" applies equally well to "disabled
> "return" "
>
> Regards,
> Jason
>
> --