Andi Gutmans wrote:
I am not stubborn. I just think this has close to 0 use in real-life (or you're doing some weird coding). In any case, for the one in a million case, I think Reflection is good enough.

I worded my example a bit wrong. I dont like people loading PEAR.php on demand. However I think the need is quite real. In PHP its quite natural to load code on demand and in sufficiently modular code its quite realistic that one piece of code will not know about what code was loaded and therefore use something like instanceof to determine what instance its dealing with.

Anyways I think sufficient numbers of people have experessed that they would like this functionality which was provided by the deprecated is_a() method. So the decision to make seems to be if:

1) is_a() should simply be undeprecated

2) instanceOf be modified

I am +1 on 1)

regards,