I don't buy into the argument that we shouldn't start even trying to
solve the thread safety issues in PHP because of some arbitrary "we
can't tell" or "it's faster not to do it" sort of argument. Threads
aren't exactly an archaic or edge technology, and it's just stubborn of
us not to support them. Having a means by which to identify and keep
track of what extensions are considered "thread safe" is the only way to
take a reasonable step forward on this issue. Saying TS of an ext could
change with every commit is a bogus argument (anything can), and
although it's reasonable to say there is a slight speed loss to PHP
itself when operating in threaded mode we are simply supporting the
technology not recommending it.