Andrew Mather wrote:

i)    a walkthrough of the exact steps + sample code to write an extension
without
      requiring re-compilation of Php and without access to Php source code
ii)   as above but with access to Php source code
You're clearly missing the -devel RPM that installs the necessary header files to allow you to build extensions outside of a source tree. That devel rpm will install the phpize and php-config executables, and a set of headers under the appropriate destination for your distro (I'm not a SuSE user, but I would expect them to be either under /usr/include/php or /usr/local/include/php). If you don't have these then you need to get the RPM that provides them (php-devel or something along those lines) before you can move forward. Look at practically any extension in PECL and read it's INSTALL instructions. For instance, look at APC and read it's INSTALL file. Again, without the -devel RPM that provides your necessary headers you will be up th creek.

iii)  as above (either i or ii) but with instructions to allow the project to
be initiated
     and compiled within the KDE development environment
That shouldn't make any difference.

George