Marcus Boerger wrote:
>  that's by design. Look into: ext/spl/spl_functions.c:spl_register_sub_class()

Thanks, I had already come up with the same workaround, but it took forever to
figure out what the problem was. The only errors I got related to not being
able to find the class, and ce.name always showed the correct value during
debugging. Somehow, I just assumed that name_length was set properly too.

Would it be worthwhile to make this "feature" more obvious to the unwitting
newbie?

Thanks for the help...again.