I don't think prefixing things with PHP makes a lot of sense to me for
something like Date. For starters, it isn't very intuitive. But thinking
more long term why name the class "PHPDate" now only to rename it to
"Date" later when we get a PHP namespace? We're avoiding a BC break
today when adoption is still getting off the ground only to have the
same issue come back when the impact of the change will be even more
painful.

Personally I think we should start making plans for what namespaces in
PHP 6 will exist, and any and all new classes between now and then
should be named as they will in PHP 6 within their respective
namespaces. I rather sacrifice BC now for FC later.

Cheers,

John