On 12/31/2006 01:49 AM, Kevin Waterson wrote:
As we discussed on irc, mime_magic is now deprecated, there is currently no
function
available to detirmine mimetype without pecl/pear.

While mime_magic is deprecated, it does not mean it cannot be used.
So there certainly is a way to do it without PECL.

Also, to repeat myself here, there is also no way to use filepro database,
hwapi, msession,
cpdf, dio, fam, ingres, mnogosearch, yp API, Ovrimos, PayFlow Pro and a bunch of other functions without using PECL.

When we move something to PECL or deprecate a core extension in favor of its PECL analogue, it does not mean the PECL extension should be moved into core, that's not the point.
Btw, quite a number of useful extensions were born in PECL and there are no
plans of moving into core either.

I think its reasonable for develpers to have access to this functionality
without
the need to install pecl/pear additions which in a hosting environment may not
be possible.

Anyone capable of installing core extension, is capable of installing an extension from PECL, in most cases it's as easy as `pecl install <name>`.
I can't see how moving filepro into core would help those who cannot enable it
anyway.

So, to make myself 100% clear, I'm certainly -1 on moving any more extensions
to core, including fileinfo.

--
Wbr, Antony Dovgal