sorry for the noise - having gone back and tested again I can
no longer reproduce my original problem (the OP seemingly had the
same issue).

whatever problem I was having, related to encoding of square brackets,
seems to have disappeared. sometimes I feel like I'm living in the twilight
zone :-P

today there is no spoon.