Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
Go read the archives. And note that I only said it was fine to respond with a 1.1 reply, that doesn't mean it is fine to send an encoding the client doesn't support.

That's why I think PHP shouldn't mess with the proto_num field or otherwise upgrade the HTTP version of the response because it makes Apache believe it is safe to send a chunked response if it wants to.

And I don't see any benefit in doing so. I'd be interested to learn why this was done though. My assumption so far is that it's done "because the PHP script asked for HTTP/1.1 so we should try to send that back" without considering the danger of creating a chunked response as a side effect.

Regards,
- Chris