I also think we shouldn't backport features to PHP5.  We should

(i) keep PHP5 a stable release with a known feature set for developers
to use.

(ii) have a smaller code base to maintain in PHP5, reducing the
overhead of merging.

(iii) avoid exacerbating the future situation with uptake of PHP6 vs
PHP5 that we now face with PHP5 vs PHP4.

Chris

--
Christopher Jones, Oracle
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    Tel:  +1 650 506 8630