On Saturday 14 July 2007, Stanislav Malyshev wrote:
> > So now there's going to be a PHP-ICU extension for PHP 5 and PHP 6,
> > and PHP 6 will have ICU built-in to such an extent that it's backwards
> > compatible with PHP 5?
>
> Both extensions would be (are being) written in such a way that code
> that worked on PHP 5 would work on PHP 6, with regard to the extension.
> Of course, particular code still could fail for some other reason, not
> related to the ICU extension. I.e. if you call collator_sort($foo,
> $bar), collator_sort being ICU extension function, it would mean the
> same in PHP 5 and PHP 6.
>
> > And what in the world would you do with PHP-ICU extension in PHP 6?
> > I mean, unless you've type-casted a string to binary or whatever, it's
> > already ICU, no?...
>
> I think you are confusing UTF-16 and ICU. ICU is a huge library of
> Unicode text functions, which so far weren't supported in PHP except for
> some collation support. There's a lot of functions to add there. UTF-16
> is just a way to represent text in bits (and ICU uses it, and so does
> PHP 6). The extension would expose a part of ICU functionality to PHP
> users - such as collators, formatters, resources, etc.

So (from another character-set-intricacy-challenged individual), would ICU it
be analogous to the DOM functions for manipulating XML-like structures?  (The
methods parentNode(), childNodes(), appendNode(), etc. are all supposed to
mean the same thing in every language.)

--
Larry Garfield                  AIM: LOLG42
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson