On 8/26/07, Richard Lynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> First make sure you understand what safe_mode does, and doesn't do,
> and just how lame it is at what it tried to do, and fails to do, and
> simply cannot do.

I am all for the removal of safe mode in php.  I use safe_mode now,
but I patch it to effectively only do function disabling.  My hosting
setup is mixed between code I write, and code I host.  So some of my
virtual hosts are given full run of the server, while other hosts are
limited to their little box.  The disable_functions ini_setting would
be able to accomplish this task perfectly, except that it is not per
virtual host.  If that was changed all my needs would be covered.

I would look to more OS type solutions, but unfortunately I run
everything off of AFS (read as non-standard unix fs with weird issues
in "becoming" a different user per vhost).

--
-Nathan Gordon

If the database server goes down and there is no code to hear it, does
it really go down?
<esc>:wq<CR>