With all the above considerations, especially my first point, I still have not
heard any good reason why namespaces in the current implementation are actually
useful - or what particular case they solve... so I am wondering, are they
really useful? I come now to the conclusion that they are not, and for myself
(and most likely my work projects) I would have to decide not to go with
namespaces, but instead stick with the 3 letter prefixing.  Something that I
have totally no problem with, as it is nice and easy.

I hate to, but I agree. If the only point is to make class naming pretty, it is kind of pointless. Give me namespaces that scope variables to a file and then we have something. Yeah, I still code the way PHP intended you to code, by templateing files together and not making gynormous classes to print out some simple HTML over and over.

It would only be useful in that my company's code would not conflict with some 3rd party software we use.

--

Brian Moon
Senior Developer