Larry Garfield wrote:
On Wednesday 05 December 2007, Stanislav Malyshev wrote:
implementation [details] not the concept. I believe that the
implementation needs a little ironing out ... what's the harm in taking
the time to do this? or at least taking the time to let consensus take
hold?
No harm, but we will have multiple namespaces per file figured out
pretty soon, and I don't see any new developments with the braces thing,
so what exactly would we wait for?

Actually, as I've said previously IF we switch to multiple namespaces per file (which I honestly have no strong opinion on), switching to braces at the same time makes sense. It's much easier to parse visually (by a human) in that case, and there's no reason I know of why we couldn't still forbid non-namespaced code in a namespace-using file to avoid confusing weirdness.

I know I just finished praising you just some hours ago, Stas, but I'm going to have to step in and agree with Larry on this one. It really doesn't make sense for there to be no braces for namespaces (especially if you're going to allow multiple per file). A namespace is a logical grouping of classes/functions and other constructs of this type in PHP use braces. That is very confusing syntax when compared to other areas of the language.

Jeremy