Hello, lists,

We have discussed about implementing anonymous functions and
closures in PHP.
However, I consider that implementing anonymous functions and
implementing lexical scopes should be discussed separately.
# Even though I like closure. ;-)
So I wrote anonymous function patch for PHP 5.3 and 6.0.

Patches (inlcude tests):
for PHP 5.3: http://www.opendogs.org/pub/php-5.3dev-080109-anon.patch
for PHP 6.0: http://www.opendogs.org/pub/php-6.0dev-080109-anon.patch

Featues:
- Unlike create_function(), there is no need to take care of
  quotes, backslashes and dollars .
- Can be used in loop, but be compiled only once.
- Supports recursive call using __FUNCTION__.
- Supports inline execution. It works like a block scope.
- Works with opcode caches.
  Since I couldn't build APC against PHP 5.3, I have tested
  PHP 5.2.5 + anonymous function patch and APC 3.0.16.

Example:
<?php
// callback
$arr = array(5, 3, 6, 0);
usort($arr, function($a, $b){ return $a - $b; });
print_r($arr); // 0, 3, 5, 6

// assign to a variable
$lambda = function(){
  echo "Hello, World!\n";
};
$lambda(); // "Hello, World!"

// inline execution
$result = function($a, $b){
  return $a + $b;
}(1, 2);
var_dump($result); // "int(3)"
?>

The anonymous function name is composed of '\0', "ZEND_ANON<#serial>",
filename and character position.
- Leading '\0' blocks to be displayed by get_defined_functions().
- "ZEND_ANON<" helps determine wheter the function is anonymous or not
  because '<' cannot be used for user-defined function name.
- Serial number and file informations make the name unique.
- char anon_key_buf[32] is long enough because
  `snprintf(anon_key_buf, 32, "ZEND_ANON<%llu>", (unsigned long
long)UINT64_MAX)'
  returns 31.

Regards,

--