For anyone else who doesn't read to the end...

Anyway, my opinion is clear on that one: shoot that dead cow. It's
been deprecated for years, and you should declare your function
prototypes with the param by ref anyway if you need it.

All I'm asking is that we throw a warning by default in 5_3, because in PHP 6 there isn't even an option to switch that warning off. To be frank this shouldn't ever have needed to go to an RFC; the lack of warning is an obvious bug in PHP which should simply be fixed.

- Steph