>So unless this thread changes something, an E_DEPRECATED will be added to
HEAD (PHP >6.0.0) for curly brace string access ( $str{42} ) and the
documentation will remain as is.

I'm well aware that I don't get a vote, so I'll skip the +1.

That being said, I'd like to argue in favour of depricating the curly
braces. My reasoning is simple, every time a new feature is up for inclusion
in the language hours/days/weeks/months are spent arguing over what
characters/operators will be used in order to identify the new feature.
We're out of characters.Killing the duplication now means that when PHP 7
roles around we've got two characters we can use for some killer new
feature.

(I'll go back to the quiet corner now)

paul ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

--