On Friday 20 June 2008, Lenar Lõhmus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Rodrigo Saboya wrote:
>  >> function ($x, $y) ($a, $b, $c) {};
>  >
>  > This looks better
>  >
>  >> function ($x, $y) [$a, $b, $c] {};
>
> I think this looks even better:
>
> function ($x, $y) use ($a, $b, &$c) {};
>
> (one could use this syntax even for traditional functions to
> use variable copies/references from global scope - just an idea).
>
> my 2,
> L.

I am not sure if "use" is the clearest word to use there (wouldn't lexical
there make more sense?), but I think the latter is a good trade-off.  It
makes it explicit whether you're using by-ref or by-val passing semantics,
and the semantics and syntax are the same as for function parameters so
there's a very low wtf factor.  I still am not sure if re-using
the "function" keyword is going to cause confusion, though, especially if
what is being implemented becomes (as it seems like it may) effectively an
alternate object syntax.

As one of the Haskell list denizens commented, is there a potential for memory
leakage if lambdas implicitly import $this when defined within an object
method?  Javascript makes it very easy to create memory leaks via closures if
you're not very careful; I would be fine with requiring an explicit
declaration of $this if it helped avoid memory leaks.

(Even if not many people will use closures at first, I anticipate that they
will become more widely used over time by which point arguments such as "they
won't be used often enough for the memory issue to matter" will be false but
it will be too late to fix.  I don't think anyone has made that argument yet,
but I'm trying to head it off before someone does. <g>)

--
Larry Garfield                  AIM: LOLG42
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson