Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:

> On 15.07.2008, at 23:09, Christopher Jones wrote:
>

>> Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
>>
>> > In our dreams someone would also make PDO a focus area, since the
>> number
>> > of open bugs is getting ridiculous. This is also a call to the general
>> > community to try and help to find a PDO maintainer. In the mean time
>> > people not adapt in C might at least try and plow through the bug
>> > tickets to find duplicates and verify the open tickets, write tests
>> etc.
>>
>> For PHP 5.3 on, I'd be happy to see the Windows builds of PDO_OCI only
>> produce php_pdo_oci.dll and no longer also build php_pdo_oci8.dll.
>> The latter uses an older set of Oracle client libraries that allows
>> connections to Oracle 7 and 8.0 databases.
>
> I guess for windows it just comes down to what we bundle.
>
> We could still support older Oracle versions with an optional
> download. If we want to be super fancy, we might even include a note
> in an error message when trying to connect to older versions that
> there is pdo_oci8 available as an optional download from win.php.net
> (or whatever our pecl4win.php.net replacement will be).

I'd prefer to keep the status quo instead of making the build more
complex.  The idea was to simplify the distribution and move forward.

The DB versions in question are Oracle 7 - released in 1993, and
Oracle 8.0 - released in 1997, IIRC.  These versions are even more
uncommon than when PDO_OCI was created in back 2004.

Users of more recent DBs (or on non-Windows platforms) won't be
affected in anyway.

The workaround of building your own PHP on Windows is less of a
problem now there is improved Windows build infrastructure and
documentation.

Chris

--
Christopher Jones, Oracle
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    Tel:  +1 650 506 8630