Hello.

I think this should be optimized.
I'm not an expert ofcourse, but as I understood there is only one case witch
need a special treatment - require/include _one when a file with equal
contents is included from different directories.
You can make a switch witch controls if lstat is made or not in these cases.
People who know what they are doing will switch it to off and make sure
their includes don't result in Fatal error (anyway, to my opinion it is bad
desing if such thing happens).
Ofcourse open_basedir users will don't have any benefit from it, but that's
their choise.
So I think you should think it out and make this optimization to 5.3
release. It would be great optimization, IMHO.