"familiar" about :: to 99.99% of PHP developers who haven't already
been playing with the alphas" I'd like to point out that since PHP
5.1, the double colon is effectively used as a namespace operator by
extensions, in the sense that extensions started using class constants
instead of prefixed, global constants. e.g. PDO::PARAM_BOOL instead of
PDO_PARAM_BOOL.

Usage of class constants (or static methods, for that matter) as a way
to preserve the global namespace can also be seen in various projects
written in PHP.

Additionnally, I'd say there's some familiarity in considering that
classes, functions and constants are static members of a namespace the
same way that methods and constants can be static members of a class
but that may be subject to interpretation.