From: Lukas Kahwe Smith [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 14 October 2008 08:42
To: Kalle Sommer Nielsen
Cc: PHP Development
Subject: Re: [PHP-DEV] Deprecate define_syslog_variables in 5.3

On 14.10.2008, at 04:04, Kalle Sommer Nielsen wrote:

> Hello internals
>
> I've been looking at the function define_syslog_variables(), and I'm
> unsure if its intentional to keep this old functionality in PHP,
> seeing as define_syslog_variables defines a shortcut for each of the
> LOG_* constants in the form of $LOG_*.
>
> Therefore I propose the function is being deprecated in 5.3 and
> removed in HEAD.

I agree. Fixing your code is easy (just remove the call to
define_syslog_variables() and the $ in front of LOG), maintains BC
with older PHP releases.

On the up side this function could create an insanely hard to debug
problem for users, is redundant and was a very bad idea from the start
(and the docs seem incorrect too).

That being said I never used this function or the constants in my
code. So is there anyone that does actually use it and has some
objection?

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]