On 8 Dec 2008, at 16:35, Philip Olson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 8 Dec 2008, at 08:18, Hannes Magnusson wrote:

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 16:57, Pierre Joye <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 4:47 PM, Johannes Schlüter <[EMAIL PROTECTED] net> wrote:

When dropping magic_quotes the hosting company can do one of two things:

a) not update to 5.3 so we either have to maintain 5.2 for some time or
let them have problems

+1

We cannot simply nuke a feature that was once upon a time sold as a
security feature, and is still enabled by default, just "out of the
blue".

Agreed, going from on by default to removed just feels odd.

I'd disable it by default in 5.3 and lets start throwing a strict error if the configuration enables it.

Scott