Removing an already working feature is just weird IMHO.

Also... this proposal reminds me to an older discussion (please for
God sake, no flaming mails!) that Greg did some time ago that if using
"use class Foo\Bar;" was enough to differ between a static call and a
ns call. It as one of the proposals to solve the :: issue.

IMHO I'm more than happy with something like:

use Foo\Bar as Baz;
$var = Baz\myFunc();

There's no need to introduce more weirdness things no 5.3.... let's
just try to get it out of the box and fix the possible introduced
issues.
We're already in alpha3 and I think when switching from alpha to beta
is something like a feature freeze.

Regards,

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 10:38 AM, Pierre Joye <pierre....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 1:19 PM, Johannes Schlüter <johan...@php.net> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 14:19 -0600, Greg Beaver wrote:
>>> [RFC]
>>> Implement importing of functions to complement importing of classes and
>>> namespaces.
>>
>> It was aid that import should only work with classes. We might extend
>> that but not for 5.3! The only engine feature to change are closures and
>> there we either get a compromise about the prototyping/OO stuff or
>> commit my patch to remove them for the time being.
>> http://schlueters.de/~johannes/php/5.3-remove-closure.diff.txt
>> (patch is missing the reflection part)
>>
>> It's been a long time for 5.3 already ... let's try to make release
>> cycles shorter, not longer!
>
> There is no pressure on us to push a release. If some features are
> missing to make the new additions complete then let us complete them
> before 5.3.0-final. That's exactly why we have test releases or tests
> phases. It is really annoying to have half backed features
> (caricature) when a final release is fired, and then have to wait .1,
> .2 or .3 to finally get the full working implementation. It is not
> possible to be 100% sure, but for these two cases (closure and this
> one), problems have been identified clearly, let the respective
> developers fix them.
>
> About removing the closure or anything else only because we want the
> beta1 out this month is a bad choice and I strongly disagree with this
> decision (if it happens).
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Pierre