Christopher Jones wrote:

Stanislav Malyshev wrote:
Hi!

I'm looking forward to reading at least a mail note describing what extension
maintainers can/can't do with this.

Basically you can make your Zend extension load with any API number and any build ID (or let it decide with which ID to load and with which one not to). Prior to 5.3 and build IDs, you could do that for API number using api check callback, but not for other things like thread safety, etc.

This is a dangerous functionality - as extension using this API should either not use most of the engine API or take care to use correct structures, etc. for every version. But for some applications it may be required.

Is this Zend extensions only?

Yes.

Is it safe to set in extensions that should
work with pre 5.3 PHP's?

Yes, in php5.2 and below build_id just won't be checked ans this callback won't be called.

Did I lose track of the other API versioning change - the one that was about to change the structure size. Or is this it but just applied to Zend extensions?

It's applied only to zend_extensions and doesn't change the structure size as it has some reserved space.

Thanks. Dmitry.

Chris