On 6/5/09 2:17 PM, Stanislav Malyshev wrote:
Hi!

So it feels like decoupling <?= from short_open_tag is on the table.
Rasmus or Stas, could you please propose exactly how this might happen?

My proposal would be very simple:
1. short_open_tag setting removed in 6, <? is no longer PHP code tag
under any circumstances.
2. <?= is always recognized by PHP as analogue to <?php echo
3. To prepare folks for this, 5.4 may have this:
3a. short_open_tag is off by default, but <? is recognized when it's on
3b. <?= is always recognized, as in (2) above

And while few want to talk about short tags (again), it's worth noting
that a discussion specific to decoupling really hasn't taken place
except for silence and a few "yeah, that might be alright... sometime"

I was kind of under impression I talked about it so much at the time
that everybody's sick of it, but maybe I'm wrong :)

No, #1 in your list is why people got sick of it. You want to bind the decoupling of <?= as a short tag to the removal of short tags. They are two different issues.

The only change I care to see is that <?= is always valid. That would let me clean up templates in so many places. As it is, I can't use that in any distributed project because "short tags" may be disabled. Leave short tags forever for all I care. Probably more work to remove them than it is to leave them in.

--

Brian.
--------