Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> I think you are again becoming a victim of too much generalization.
> Like using the slower re-entrant mysql client library, for example, just
> in case you have a threaded SAPI that needs it.  99% of people are going
> to be using the prefork Apache SAPI or fastcgi, neither of which needs
> this, and thus you are penalizing the majority in order to support edge
> cases more easily.

The switch to libmysqlclient_r was because the mysql driver of apr-util was
going to be enabled and would cause a symbols conflict. MySQL 5.1 did not
change the symbols and as such we still can't link to the non-reentrant
library.

> Same goes for per-package configuration.  The common case, Apache and
> fastcgi, can do per-directory configuration, but you are choosing not to
> use it in order to support edge cases.  Instead of trying to change PHP
> here, I'd be going after your problematic edge cases and bringing them
> up to speed so they can support per-app configuration.

That would be the ideal situation. Sadly it is not that easy to accomplish,
hence the need to support more configuration options.

Cheers,
--
Raphael Geissert - Debian Developer
www.debian.org - get.debian.net