On 2 March 2010 10:25, Derick Rethans <der...@php.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Mar 2010, Victor Bolshov wrote:
>
>> From the user point of view it might seem that 5.x "string" and 6.x
>> "unicode" are all strings, whatever you call them. Still, I am sure
>> there _is_ a background for the decision to distinguish between
>> "string" and "unicode".
>
> Yes, there *has* to be a difference between "string" and "unicode"
> because otherwise you can't distinguish between binary goo and strings.
>
> Derick
>
> --
> http://derickrethans.nl | http://xdebug.org
> twitter: @derickr
>
> --

So <PHP6, "this" is a string and in PHP6+ u"this" is a string and
"this" would be binary?

If PHP6 is unicode, then unicode strings are now the "normal" strings.
Binary strings are just binary data now. Maybe "string" and "binary
string" rather than "unicode" and "string".

So "string" is consistent across the PHP versions.

--
-----
Richard Quadling