On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 7:32 PM, Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@lerdorf.com> wrote:

> Well, the obvious original reason is that ICU uses UTF-16 internally and
> the logic was that we would be going in and out of ICU to do all the
> various Unicode operations many more times than we would be interfacing
> with external things like MySQL or files on disk.  You generally only
> read or write a string once from an external source, but you may perform
> multiple Unicode operations on that same string so avoiding a conversion
> for each operation seems logical.

Exactly, that's why I was not so affirmative about using UTF-8 over
UTF-16. I would like to evaluate both solutions with a small set of
PHP features (say some file ops, 1-2 DBs and part of the core string
functions) and see the impact of using UTF-8 or UTF-16. But it is
definitivelly not a small decision.

--
Pierre