Would make sense. Especially considering HTML5's current validation
rules of emails is something different again.

http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/states-of-
the-type-attribute.html#e-mail-state

Having a mismatch in validation between client & server just a recipe
for user frustration.

Jared