safe_mode/register_globals/register_long_arrays/magic_quotes_*/allow_call_time_pass_reference
  - Something we have long time been wanted to remove from PHP, I don't
see a big reason to keep those in the next version, even if its going
to be a 5.4, since we already removed things like
zend.ze1_compatibility_mode. See the magic quotes RFC[4].

+1

asp_tags
  - Proposed to be removed aswell, Tony had a patch for this[5].

-1. Widely used, not a drain on the language. Better in some cases than regular PHP tags.

sql_safe_mode
  - Theres currently an RFC in the works about this by Johannes[6].

+1

Brian.