2010.05.04 17:56 Derick Rethans rašė:
> On Tue, 4 May 2010, Adam Harvey wrote:
>
>> The options are:
>>
>> 1. Apply Tomas's patch to make case-insensitive lookups
>> locale-ignorant. Pros: fixes immediate problem. Cons: breaks BC for
>> case-insensitive function/method name lookups for high-bit characters
>> in single-byte encodings. (Not that we've ever advertised or
>> documented that.)
>
> People *do* do this though.
>
> I'm for option 2.

Change to 100% case-insensitive function names has bigger probability of
BC break. I think I've seen code which used functions in a way that
depended on case insensitive lookups and same code had problems with
Turkish, because case insensitive dependency was only on latin I.

Option 1 maintains BC for ascii names. high bit characters don't break
only in some locales. You will be lucky until you hit something in
0xC0-0xDF range that does not have direct match in 0xE0-0xFF range, you
will enter minefield, if you use 0x80-0xBF and code will be hosed when
locale does not support any usual iso-8859-1 high-bit characters matching.

--
Tomas