I like the idea of type hinting a lot. (See: http://marc.info/?l=zend-engine2&m=102421231114377&w=2) I suggested it in 2001 when ZE2 was being designed. Somehow my idea was bastardized into only classes and arrays. Guess it was the mad OOP craze of the time.

Anyhow, I would like to use it. And, as much as I appreciate Derick and Ilia's work in getting a change in, I likely won't use it. Mainly because the web is a bunch of strings. Casting data from MySQL every time I want to use it does not interest me at all. Its a number in string form, treat it like one. If you use filter, you still have to worry with casting. There is no way to always get an int back from filter regardless of the input given.

Really, I am confused what the argument is about. We already decided how this should work years ago. It should work just like the code below. Having user land functions work different than built in functions is the most confusing thing you can do. Unless of course someone plans on fixing all the internal functions too.

================

<?php

error_reporting(E_ALL);

$int = 1.25454;

$var = substr($int, 0, 4);

var_dump($var);

$var = round($var, 1);

var_dump($var);

$arr = array();

$var = substr($arr, 0, 1);

var_dump($var);

$text = "test";

$var = round($text, 1);

var_dump($var);

?>

$ php test.php
string(4) "1.25"
float(1.3)

Warning: substr() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given in /Users/brianm/test.php on line 17
NULL
float(0)

Brian.
--------