On 27.05.2010, at 10:45, Daniel Egeberg wrote:

> If you don't know whether the user/database provided information you
> have is correct before you pass it along to something else, I would
> say that the code indeed is bad. Unless you regard "123abc" as a valid
> value from your user, don't allow the user to give you that value. If
> you regard it as a valid value, then it's not an int thus you wouldn't
> want to type cast it in the first place.

as Arvids already pointed out most database extensions for PHP atm return
strings even for integers/floats. furthermore the "123abc" example was
mentioned more for data coming from external sources, with strict typing you
are encouraging stuff like (int)"123abc". Of course a good programmer would
first check with is_numeric() before casting. Seems like a lot of work.

With the proposal of weak typing with error/notice on data loss none of that
would be needed.

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith
m...@pooteeweet.org