On May 28, 2010, at 7:43 PM, Pierre Joye wrote:

>>> I do, what's about only changing how it is generated to generated
>>> changes since last release instead?
>>>
>>> I'd to add that unless we add everything in the NEWS file, the
>>> ChangeLog remains the only way to have a list of all changes (without
>>> doing manually).
>>
>> Isn't that what "svn log -v" now provides? The format is slightly
>> different of course, but it does provide the same info.
>
> By "without doing it manually", I meant when one fetches a release or
> a snapshot.

The ChangeLog files aren't updated because no one ever ported the ChangeLog
crons from CVS to SVN. It wouldn't be very difficult - in fact one of the
open-source scripts already out there for the purpose would seem appropos, it
just hasn't been done. They seem to be standard fare in FOSS projects, so I'm
-1 for removing the functionality, but +1 for removing the useless archives
from all active branches.

I wish I could volunteer to do the port, but I have too much on my plate right
now :(

-- Gwynne