I agree with that. More structure and predictability will be very valuable to
the project. We created a lot of structure in Zend Framework and it has really
paid off.
Btw, we don't have to look far. Just the change in having people document their
suggestions via RFCs already had a substantial impact on this project both in
terms of peer review and having a long lasting trail of what made it into a
given release.
More structure will typically yield in higher quality, more visibility and
therefore more motivation for people to contribute, and I believe also in more
deliverables rather than less as people will work towards clear goals + be
accepting if they miss them and they need to wait for the next release train.

Andi