On 2 Dec 2010, at 19:46, "Christopher Jones" <christopher.jo...@oracle.com>
wrote:

> On 12/02/2010 11:23 AM, James Butler wrote:
>> Following that logic, they will expect the next major version number,
>> whatever it is, to have Unicode. Nothing can be done about that apart from
>> telling the world it won't, including it in, or let them find out for
>> themselves...
>>

> If we decide the next major version doesn't have unicode then we will
> have to manage/expect some community confusion.  This will happen
> regardless of designated version number.
>
> Chris

Sorry, I think I misinterpreted what you were saying. You are right, the user
expectation will probably need to be managed, irrespective of major version
number, for quite a few features that PHP6 was expected to bring, and also any
features that will now arrive that are orthogonal to what PHP6 books/media have
promised. That said if the next version is 7 / 2011 / whatever, at least it
won't return stacks of obsolete and outdated articles, blog posts and books
when people start googling it for help and information.

Just my tuppence ha'penny.
.