On 21 December 2010 16:00, Michael Morris <dmgx.mich...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Uhm, If bit 0 is set to 0, and all the higher bits are also set to 0, then
> the total value of the field is 0.
>
> Under this scheme bit 0 is the legacy mode bit.  Turn it off and PHP will
> parse tags according to historical behavior and respects the asp_tags and
> short_open_tags flag.  Turn it on and those behaviors go away.  The weird
> part about this particular bit is you have to turn it on in order to turn
> something off. I don't like doing that, but I don't see another way to keep
> backwards compatibility since PHP should act as it currently does if this
> setting isn't set or is left at '0'.

Would it not be feasible to drop asp_tags and short_open_tags,
replacing them with the new entry and have the default value of the
entry set so that it is corresponds to the default values of the
asp_tags and short_open_tags?

As the default (based upon php.ini-development and php.ini-production)
is to set asp_tags and short_open_tags to off, it would seem that a
new ini entry, replacing the older tags, doesn't need to worry about
the value in the recommended/default position.

Alternatively, could the default value (for when there isn't one
defined in a current ini file) simply be based upon whatever is set
for asp_tags and short_open_tags? Essentially, subsuming the older
settings into the new one and allowing a sysadmin/developer to set the
value if they want to.

I don't think it would be necessary to support the old style settings
if the change was done at a major version, though asp_tags and
short_open_tags could be marked as deprecated in the next minor
release.

--
Richard Quadling
Twitter : EE : Zend