On 05/10/2011 12:37 PM, Drak wrote:

PS - sorry to say this but from the other thread, all this talk of
ecosystems is quite strange and full of FUD.  The PHP eco-system
depends on PHP and exists only because of PHP, not the other way
round.  If PHP adds a new syntax or new functions, the IDEs have to
support it - it's only logical or they will lose users to another
product which does support PHP properly and in a timely manner. IDE
vendors provide a solution for people who need a PHP IDE so it only
goes to reason surely?  Given their scale and userbase I cant see
Beans and Eclipse PDT ignoring new syntax any time soon nor any of the
commercial IDEs like Zend Studio or phpStorm.  If they managed with
namespace support I don't see why this would be any different.  I feel
like I'm stating the obvious.

From a very narrow technical point of view it may appear obvious but
it would lead to a fun paradox that a language feature "for the
community" could get designed without thinking about all the users &
uses.

--
Email: christopher.jo...@oracle.com
Tel:  +1 650 506 8630