Am 18.07.2011 10:15, schrieb Ferenc Kovacs:
I think that having to know and care about refcounts and zvals are
more complicated than having an Spl class, which can hold a reference
for a variable what can be destroyed to free memory.
and there is a chance that people are familiar with the Weak
references from other languages, while the zval approach only familiar
for those that knows about php internals.
so I think that from the userland POV, weak references are easier to grasp.

You're right for users who indeed have this problem. But I am worried about those users, which do not have the problem, but still have to know what WeakReferences are...but I should wait for the RFC.