While looking over the release notes for 5.4a1
(http://www.php.net/archive/2011.php#id2011-06-28-1) I noticed that
the related session_* functions had been removed.

As I interpreted it, this goes against the spirit of the release RFC
for x.y+1.z releases, specifically:

- Backward compatibility must be kept
- API compatibility must be kept (user land)

The removal of these functions makes sense (to me) but I think in
order to respect the release RFC we should either:

a) defer the removal of session_* functions till the appropriate release
b) update the RFC nomeclature to cover this use case (as Florian
pointed out, the current wording leaves it open to interpretation)

I do realize I'm late to the party (sorry) and I'm not sure if it's
too late to revert course on this specific change...but I think the
session_* removal change will make the upgrade process more difficult
because of its' far-reaching impact.

- JJ