Hi, very glad this topic has resurfaced and I honesly think using a DVCS
will be a game-changer for PHP. Just wanted to drop a couple of answers I've
dedicated some time in at SE, several diagrams, to-point explanations and
references that might be of uso to clear out introductory topics.

http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/35074/im-a-subversion-geek-why-i-should-consider-or-not-consider-mercurial-or-git-or/35080#35080
http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/77475/how-to-choose-between-git-and-mercurial/77663#77663
http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/31558/version-control-for-small-team/31564#31564

In brief: either git or mercurial will be a great option, but if the
majority of the dev-base has less experience with DVCS, there might be more
frustration if you get introduced to DVCS with git than with mercurial, same
goes for potential collaborators, so mercurial —IMHO— does lower the barrier
of entry.

Lots of people choose git over mercurial over github, but bitbucket is
improving more frequently under Atlassian's watch.

Since the project is big enough, git might be a better choice
to accommodate PHP's most complex code workflows —which I'm totally
unfamiliar with—. Mercurial, OTOH, has less power tools to play with than
with wgit, but unless you really really need them, my take on this is: go
with mercurial and lower the collaboration barrier as much as you can.

Best regards,

David