On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 4:05 PM, Derick Rethans <der...@php.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Sep 2011, Pierre Joye wrote:
>
>> The main problem is that putenv and getenv are not thread safe and
>> many tests will fail either when using TS SAPIs or on Windows. This
>> method is already deprecated and it is recommended to rely on the
>> other methods.
>>
>> Objections/comments?
>
> I'm against removing this in PHP 5.4.

What's the arguement then? It should not have been supported since
years already.

> Tests run all in different processes so the environment variable can't
> leak between them.

 the main problem here is the production code relying on putenv, not
only our testing environments.

But your case only covers the classic run-tests.php executed from
CLI/CGI. We run most of the phpt via apache's mod_php as well.

It is very easy for one to update an app to make it work with museum
version of php as well:

 if (function_exists('date_default_timezone_set')) {
    date_default_timezone_set("UTC");
} else {
    putenv("TZ=UTC");
}