Am 19.01.2012 20:27, schrieb Daniel Convissor:
Gentlemen:

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 02:09:12PM +0100, Ulf Wendel wrote:
Am 19.01.2012 13:50, schrieb Johannes Schlüter:

Your server seems to be configured for UTF-8 by default. In my tests the
behavior for both libraries (myslqnd&   libmsql) is the same if you mind
the character set (use SET NAMES etc.)

Yes, my server is set to UTF-8 in my.cnf:
character-set-server = utf8

"MySQLnd always assumes the server default charset. This charset is
sent during connection hand-shake/authentication, which mysqlnd will
use.

Libmysql uses the default charset set in the my.cnf or by an
explicit call to mysqli_options() prior to calling
mysqli_real_connect(), but after mysqli_init().",
http://www.php.net/manual/en/mysqli.construct.php

From the documentation exceprt, above, the test code in
https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=60333 should be using the server's
default character set under both mysqlnd and libmysql.  So shouldn't
they both come back with the same answer?  Or am I misunderstanding
something?

mysqlnd simply does not read MySQL server config. It defaults to actual connection of the server.

Ulf