PHP through mod_php on Linux should compile without ZTS.

configure script searches for apxs binary and tries to invoque "apxs -q
MPM" to figure out what MPM has been compiled in Apache for the TS flag to
be defined or not (thus, activating PHP ZTS, or not).

Mainly on Linux, Apache should have been installed with prefork MPM ans
"apxs -q" should return that, then configure should not define
PHP_BUILD_THREAD_SAFE.

Recently we had a bug with the new Apache 2.4 API where apxs doesn't answer
about the MPM configuration anymore, leading to a ZTS build by default.
This bug has now been fixed, was https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=61172.

I dont know anything about windows, sorry

Julien.Pauli