--Kris

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 1:49 PM, Zeev Suraski <z...@zend.com> wrote:

>  Kris,****
>
> ** **
>
> If we’ve agreed that strict typing is bad, why is it even showing on the
> discussion here?  Calling it ‘firm’ or ‘strong’ doesn’t make a difference.
> If it errors out or throws an exception (which BTW is out of the question
> for a language feature), it’s strict typing, regardless of naming.

That is a form of cognitive dissonance, a logical fallacy.  More
colloquially known as an "either or argument."

Everyone agrees that strict C-like typing is not tenable.  We've moved past
that and what's being proposed now does not rise to that level.

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> Thanks for pointing me to the voting procedure that I helped author.

You're welcome.

> Are you essentially telling us we all have to waste our time again just
> because 6 months have passed?

Yes.  Though given how many people have shown an interest in this thread, I
would challenge your assertion that it is a waste of time.  If you feel as
though it's a waste of *your* time, then don't waste your time.  But that
doesn't give you the right to demand that we cease talking about it just
because *you* don't think it's a worthy discussion.

>   That alone might be reason enough to turn the OR in there into an AND
> and shut down that loophole.

You're free to introduce a new RFC for that, but don't be surprised when I
and probably a number of others campaign heavily and tirelessly against
it.  I don't think most people would agree with such a totalitarian
approach designed to silence dissenting views from being introduced and
discussed.

  The rationale behind that time period was to allow for cases where there
> was an ‘almost’ majority.  Here, the proposal stands no chance.  The only
> reason you’re not seeing anybody from the core devs responding is because
> they’re tired of the Nth incarnation of the same discussion happening again
> with zero new ideas.

Please refer to the Wikipedia link I posted above pertaining to "weasel
words."

Just because a conceptually similar proposal failed two years ago doesn't
mean the discussion we're having now won't have any support.

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> If you can show why it makes sense to revive the discussion based on the 2
> nd bullet, that is:****
>
> The author(s) make substantial changes to the proposal. While it's
> impossible to put clear definitions on what constitutes 'substantial'
> changes, they should be material enough so that they'll significantly
> effect the outcome of another vote.****
>
> ** **
>
> … then it’s worth discussing.  Nothing I saw in this thread falls under
> that category, as far as I can tell.

I disagree.  A number of ideas have been put forth that differ from
previous proposals.  Just because *you* don't think they differ enough does
not mean you can unilaterally declare that this discussion must end.
Besides, as you said, such a standard would be completely arbitrary and
open to interpretation.  It would ultimately be something that would have
to come down to a vote (unless you're planning on being the one who gets to
decide for the rest of us what's substantial and what's not), which would
render the whole argument pointless anyway, since it would essentially be a
vote on whether or not we should have a vote.  That's how the United States
Congress typically operates, and we all know how effective they are....

****

> ** **
>
> Let’s put it to rest.

This issue isn't going away.  Again, we've already addressed this in
who share your sentiment, but that does not give you the authority to shut
down this conversation or declare that you're going to change the RFC rules
so that we can't vote on this.  If that's not what you were proposing, then
please accept my apologies for the misunderstanding.  Either way, I've
already promised to push back hard against any efforts to silence the
discussion this time around, and I intend to honor that promise.

I am still in favor of ultimately moving this conversation to a separate
location if people like Zeev are just tired of having this in their
inboxes.  Plus it would give those of us who are actually interested in
this a place to brainstorm without old fear tactics periodically being
reintroduced in an effort to derail the conversation.  I'll investigate
such options as soon as I have some spare moments.  It's been a busy week.
=)

****