On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 4:54 PM, Pierre Joye <pierre....@gmail.com> wrote:

> hi Sebastian,
>
> On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 4:41 PM, Sebastian Bergmann <sebast...@php.net>
> wrote:
> > On 03/02/2012 07:34 AM, Pierre Joye wrote:
> >>
> >> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/php53eol
> >

> >  I discussed with Arne Blankerts and Stefan Priebsch over breakfast today
> >  and Stefan had an interesting idea: why not announce (now) that PHP 5.3
> >  will go into EOL a year after PHP 5.5 comes out?
>
> And when do you think it is one year after php-next? In two years. So
> much about one year being the only option ;-)

that's just the schedule, if the php-next is being late(which can happen,
3-4 additional RC can cause a 2 month delay), that will force us to either
prolong the support of php-old (which would be in contrast with the RFC) or
the dates would start shifting apart.
if the next-next is also delayed 2 month, then it will be only an 8 months
gap between the release of php-next and the EOL of php-old, and I think
that would be a trend, because projects tend to being late.
so I would support Sebastian's proposal, and there are other projects doing
this kind of schedule (debian and fedora comes to mind, but I'm sure there
are plenty of others)

--
Ferenc Kovács
@Tyr43l - http://tyrael.hu