Hi Eric,

Sorry, I don't read @internals every day. Please CC me if you need quick answer.

Really I don't see the reason why wincache stores the PHP file source. Storing compiled opcodes must be enough. To avoid re-reading of already cached file. opcode cache should override zend_stream_open() and return stream of type ZEND_HANDLE_FILENAME.

Anyway, I don't see a way to fix PHP to support custom streams without BC break, because zend_streams doesn't provide handlers for seeking.

The best solution would be handling shebang lines by parser/scanner. It even was done few years ago, but than was reverted.

Thanks. Dmitry.